Chana masala. Stir enough water into the mixture to get a thick gravy; bring to a boil and stir chickpeas into the gravy. Chana masala recipe – Chana masala is a delicious & flavorful Indian curry made by cooking chickpeas in a spicy onion tomato masala gravy. It can be eaten with basmati rice, roti, naan, poori, Bhatura and plain parathas or even with flavored rice like jeera rice or ghee rice.
In Delhi though, we usually make Chole, which is very similar to Chana Masala but uses a special blend of spices. Both are made with white chickpeas but chana masala is made using basic everyday Indian spices. Bring to the boil, then turn off the heat and set aside to allow the chickpea flavour to infuse the water. You can cook Chana masala using 13 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chana masala
- Prepare 1 cup of Kala Chana (Black Chickpeas) soaked overnight.
- You need to taste of Salt.
- Prepare of For the tadka.
- You need 1 tablespoon of Ghee.
- You need 1 of big onion chopped.
- You need 1 of tomato chopped.
- It’s 5-6 of garlic crushed.
- It’s 1/2 inch of ginger crushed.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of Cumin seeds (Jeera).
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of Amchur (Dry Mango Powder).
- It’s 1 teaspoon of Chaat Masala Powder.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of Red Chilli powder.
- You need 1 teaspoon of Cumin powder (Jeera).
Blitz the onions with the garlic, ginger and green chillies. Chana masala, also called chole masala, is believed to have originated in northern India. "Chana" means chickpea and "masala" refers to a blend of spices used in Indian cooking. It's a popular dish throughout India and Pakistan, with recipes varying by region. And it's also gained popularity around the world.
Chana masala instructions
- To begin making the Sukha Kala Chana Masala Recipe, ensure the kala chana is soaked overnight or for a minimum of 6-8 hours..
- Once the kala chana is soaked, transfer it into a pressure cooker with 1 cup of water and salt to taste..
- Pressure cook for about 5-6 whistles and turn off the flame. Allow the pressure to release naturally..
- Once the pressure has released, open the pressure cooker and drain off the excess water from the kala chana..
- Heat a pan with ghee on medium flame, once the ghee is hot, add the cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle..
- Now add onion after few minutes add tomatos and saute for minutes..
- Next reduce the flame, add the ginger and green chillies..
- Now add in all the dry spices – amchur powder, coriander powder, chaat masala, and cumin powder..
- Mix well and quickly add in the boiled kala chana. Give it a good stir and simmer the sukha kala chana in the pan for 3 to 4 minutes until the masala gets well coated into the kala chana..
- Once done, turn off the heat, check if you need to add more salt and adjust according to taste. Transfer the Sukha Kala Chana into a serving bowl and serve as a prasad for the festivals like navratri..
- Serve Sukha Kala Chana Masala Recipe along with Rava Kesari Bhath/ Sooji Halwa Recipe, and Puri Recipe as prasad for Ashtami or just as a Sunday brunch..
Cook the tomatoes until browned lightly. Add chickpeas and a cup of water and stir. Add the roasted cumin, amchoor, paprika, garam masala, salt and lemon juice. Remove the cover add the minced chili and ginger. Chana Masala is a North Indian and Pakistani curry made by cooking chickpeas (chana) in a onion and tomato base (masala).