Kala chana. Kala chana recipe – black chickpeas cooked with onions, tomatoes and spices. Kala chana are the desi variety of chickpeas that are brown to black in color. These are used widely in Indian cuisine to make curries, stew and even stir fry dishes.
Kala chana curry is a breeze to make in the Instant Pot. Follow the recipe instructions as is by first sautéing the aromatics, tomatoes and ground spices. black chickpeas curry with detailed photo and video recipe. a healthy punjabi curry recipe prepared mainly with black chickpeas or also known as desi chickpeas. the curry recipe can be prepared either in a dry variety or gravy based. it is an ideal curry recipe served with either roti / chapathi / steamed rice/jeera rice. You can have Kala chana using 14 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Kala chana
- It’s 300 grams of black chana.
- It’s As required of Oil.
- Prepare 2 of chopped onions.
- It’s As required of Chopped green chillies.
- It’s leaves of Some curry.
- Prepare 1 tsp of garam masala powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of chaat masala.
- You need 1 tsp of red chilli powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of chole masala.
- It’s 1 pinch of haldi.
- It’s 2 of chopped tomatoes.
- Prepare 3-4 tbsp of tamarind pulp.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
- Prepare Handful of Coriander leaves.
Kala chana – Kaale chane is a North Indian chickpea curry, a dry preparation made using brown chickpeas. This is usually served with Pooris / puris, the deep fried Indian bread made using whole wheat flour. A handful of ingredients combine with cooked brown chickpeas to give this hearty and simple Indian dish. The term "kala chana" might sound like a stranger to most of us, but when we dig through its English translation, it turns out to be a familiar thing!
Kala chana step by step
- Soak the 300 grams black chana over night..
- Next morning boil it with salt and water..
- Strain and let it cool..
- Take a pan add oil and 2 finely chopped onions,green chillies and curry leaves,saute till the onion turns translucent..
- Now add the boil chana,1 tsp garam masala powder,1/2tsp chaat masala,1 tsp red chilli powder,1 tsp chole masala, a pinch of haldi,salt and saute well..
- Then add 2 finely chopped tomatoes 3-4tbsp tamarind pulp mix well and cook till the tomatoes are moist..
- Garnish with coriander..
So kala chana when translated into English is "black chickpeas!" Chickpeas are legumes that have protein-rich seeds, and an important ingredient to Middle Eastern and South Asian cuisine. Kala chana is an excellent source of protein. Kala chana is a type of desi chickpea grown mainly in India and translates to black chickpeas. Kala chana, like other types of chickpeas, is high in fiber, protein and iron, among other nutrients. So Kabuli Chola is the clear winner here in aspects of protein.