Kala chana. Kala chana is the Hindi word for "black chickpeas". In Hindi, the word "Kala" means "Black" and "Chana" means "Chickpea". Hence the name kala chana, meaning black chickpeas.
Kala chana (desi chana) is a smaller sized chickpea having a brown husk while white chickpea (kabuli chana) is larger in size having creamish-white husks. There are also chickpea variants which have green husks ( hara chana) and dark black husks (a local rare variant). How can I thicken my curry gravy? You can cook Kala chana using 10 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Kala chana
- It’s 1 cup of chana.
- You need 2 tbsp of Oil.
- It’s as per taste of Salt.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Jeera.
- It’s 1 tsp of turmeric powder.
- You need 1 tsp of red chilli powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of aamchur powder.
- It’s as required of Coriander.
- Prepare 1 tsp of garam masala.
- It’s as needed of Ginger paste.
Kala chana – Kaale chane is a North Indian chickpea curry, a dry preparation made using brown chickpeas. This is usually served with Pooris / puris, the deep fried Indian bread made using whole wheat flour. A handful of ingredients combine with cooked brown chickpeas to give this hearty and simple Indian dish. This is a simple everyday Punjabi curry, made in a onion-tomato gravy with ginger and garlic.
Kala chana step by step
- Soak chana overnight, take pressure cooker add water, salt in chana and cook for 7 to 8 whistles..
- Take all masala in small bowl and mix well with little water..
- Take oil in pan add zeera, ginger paste,masala and mix it than cook till it leaves oil. Then add chana, salt as per taste, cover with lid and cook for 5 mins. Garnish with coriander and serve with roti or puri..
Instant Pot Kala Chana is so easy to prepare and yet so delicious. Kala chana is a type of desi chickpea grown mainly in India and translates to black chickpeas. Kala chana, like other types of chickpeas, is high in fiber, protein and iron, among other nutrients. So Kabuli Chola is the clear winner here in aspects of protein. Protein is highly required by the body for the purpose of muscle growth and bodybuilding.