Gujarati Fafda-Basundi (Mango):.
You can have Gujarati Fafda-Basundi (Mango): using 10 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Gujarati Fafda-Basundi (Mango):
- It’s 1 Cup of Besan/Gram Flour.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Salt.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Ajwain/Carom Seeds.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of Baking Powder.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of Hing/Asafoetida: Optional- Highly Recommended, as I’ve used it to enhance its taste to the next level.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Turmeric Powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Red Chilli Powder.
- You need 1 tbsp of Ghee/Cooking Oil: To knead the Dough.
- You need 1/4 Cup of Water: To knead the Dough.
- Prepare as required of Cooking Oil: For Deep Frying the Fafdas.
Gujarati Fafda-Basundi (Mango): step by step
- In a mixing bowl: Add in all the aforementioned measured ingredients and knead it to a neither too soft nor too hard yet rather an absolute pliable dough….
- Once done: Rest it for about 10 mins by covering it with a wet cloth underneath & then by placing a cover on the bowl….
- Heat up a frying pan over medium flame & once hot- Reduce it to the medium-low & start with kneading the fafda dough for a minute or so & then divide it into small portions/balls….
- Out of each ball make an elongated shape by placing it on a flat & smooth surface (it’d slightly stick to your hand/palm, if you’re following the traditional method of doing it the same way), need to clean your hands every time & start on with the next one.
- Placing it over the flat, smooth & clean surface- Press it gently with the soft fleshy portion of your palm underneath the wrist & from the bottom edge to the upwards, press it gently yet firmly without stopping in between by forming the shape as is seen in the pics (refer to the pics carefully) & then, with the help of a very thin & flat knife take it out off the surface & dip it in the warm oil immediately.
- Repeat this step until, all are fried- Remember one thing to always use to your flat bottom edge of your palm to roll it out gently yet firmly & then, quickly take it off the surface with the help of the knife…Immediately, add it into the already hot/warm oil over the low-medium flame & fry it out evenly from both the sides & strain it out once done.
- Garnish & Serve it on your serving platters in your very own way & time to enjoy this very age old traditional dish from the very western part of our country…Have a great meal with this super cool delicious dish from Gujarat.